Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"The Arrival of Meaning"



8:30 PM Friday, June 27th
Skulpturenpark Berlin Zentrum
Abby Donovan "The Arrival of Meaning"

A temporary, one twilight installation of the "Meaning Tor"--one of Berlin's missing gates, a portal of sorts that will only be open one evening at dusk. A crazy scaffolding triumphal-not arch will serve as a proscenium for 2 meaning machines that will be suspended between the columns, to be approached from either side. From one approach a dynamo-powered LED lightning bolt, from the other, a dynamo-powered LED rainbow. There's no real correlation between how long one spins the dynamo and when a lightning bolt or a rainbow appears. Oracles of a sort, or brief symbol flashes that might give significance to the moment and context within which they appear. Or they might not. A sort of sad lonely magic. Temporary construction of meaning.

The whole works will be bundled up and disassembled and beginning at about 6:30 PM we will follow a route from 1 Gruenbergerstr to Skulpturenpark Berlin Zentrum--kind of like a bedraggled troupe of medieval players. Have you ever had a carnival drive past you on the highway in the US? Kind of like that.

The park is located between Alte Jakobstrasse / Kommandantenstrasse / Seydelstrasse in Berlin-Mitte.

Public Transportation
U2 Spittelmarkt
U6 Kochstrasse
Bus 265

1 comment:

emily said...

How did you document the meaning machines? I'd really like to get a visual/an audio-visual.

I've taken your advice, and read a little on Agnes Martin. I wasn't able to find any direct description of her process, but through a few threads and selected writings (library book) I gather that she lives in her process--living simply, painting with a clear mind. On one blog entry, she pushed the idea of working to "meet inspiration" instead of waiting for it. I liked that.

Also, yesterday I got my liquid fog in the mail. very excited. projection possibility? And your suggestion from the end of the semester: how can artwork migrate? crossed my mind for a second time. While I'm building this projection machine, I'm thinking that it could easily become very mobile.

on a sad note, I just found a link to your stuff in Solid Gold at Vox Populi...and saw that it ends yesterday.